Spray Foam Insulation is a residential application that lately is gaining even more popularity. When a contractor recommends you consider spray foam insulation, it refers to an insulation that is commonly known as Polyurethane Foam. In short terms, it is used to effectively seal and insulate the home.
Essentially, the compound is specifically designed to be sprayed into an expansive cavity, such as the attic, the roof, or the ceiling. This process is done by using specialized equipment that ensures uniform product coverage. With this adaptable product, every part of your home can be efficiently insulated. From attics to roof cavities, exterior foundation walls to basements and crawl spaces, and even floors and ceilings. Every single one of these spaces is tightly air sealed and insulated with very high R-Value.
Spray foam is impermeable to air and moisture. This is exactly why professionals prefer this product to anything else. A well-installed application will cover everything in sight. Including holes, cracks and crevices. The product is multifunctional and it does a superior job of sealing. It also provides better R-Values and even adds structural strength. Our team at Eco Spray Insulation believes that there is no better product on the market.
When spray foam insulation is installed, initially the foam appears out as a liquid and allows it to expand and then harden into the thick, dense coating which remains in place and provides the final insulating layer. Usually, professionals offer two types of foam product insulation, each with their specific usage.
- Half-pound spray foam insulation – open-cell spray foam
- Two-pound spray foam insulation – closed-cell spray foam
Open-cell spray foam is less costly. It provides a good air barrier. But it is not a good moisture barrier. On the other hand, closed-cell spray foam is much denser and provides both, air barrier and a moisture barrier in a single application.
On This Article:
- The benefits of open-cell spray foam
- The benefits of closed-cell insulation foam
- The benefits of spray foam insulation
- SFI installations throughout the home
- Installing spray foam professionally
- Nothing can compare with spray foam
- Environmentally Friendly
- Shopping for a reliable contractor
The benefits of open-cell spray foam
- Allows for bi-directional drying.
- Can accommodate long-term creep and seasonal movement.
- Can be installed at a significantly lower cost.
- Is not considered a food source for mould.
- Provides sound dampening qualities. It is ideal for use in media or theatre rooms.
- Lower installed cost, per square foot.
The benefits of closed-cell insulation foam
- Ability to reject bulk water.
- Can be applied at very low temperatures.
- Adds wall racking strength. As well as impact resistance.
- Higher R-value per inch.
- Lower vapour permeance.
- Higher tensile and bond strength.
All industry professionals agree that spray foam insulation is a superior option when compared to others. A thorough installation will deliver high R-Values. Providing outstanding dollar value in comparison to other applications and products. A finished application will ensure that a space is totally airtight and with no capacity for air leakage. This will guarantee that in your house are no more heated air or air conditioning escaping from the building envelope. As such, spray foam insulation performs far more effectively than any other insulation products.
Spray foam insulation has become preferential for new home construction. It is considered a premium installation, and therefore more of an investment than conventional. The fact is that spray foam delivers more long term benefits than any other insulation method, and the application will last for a lifetime.
The benefits of spray foam insulation
Spray foam insulation is about continuous insulation. Continuous insulation prevents air leakage which is caused by thermal bridging, a dynamic that reduces the performance of the insulated area. Without continuous insulation, the R-Value of any product will fall short in performance. This means that when thermal bridging is not properly addressed, the finished space will not deliver the optimum performance. Therefore, the performance won’t be according to the manufacturer’s claims.
The idea of insulating is to diminish the negative effects of thermal bridges. This will ensure that indoor heat won’t escape during winter and the cooled air will not escape during the summer.
In other words, it will maximize R-Values throughout the building envelope. This is exactly where every homeowner benefits from spray foam insulation regardless of whether the space is steel-framed or wood-framed.
As a high-performance product, spray foam insulation will provide you with many benefits. Air leakage is dramatically reduced. Installed R-Value is maximized. Moisture accumulation is impeded, including condensation. Overall, the HVAC system will work more efficiently. Energy usage will be measurably curtailed.
Here are the overall benefits of spray foam insulation:
- Stops air and moisture infiltration.
- Makes your home more comfortable.
- Saves on energy costs.
- Adds strength to the building structure.
- It is permanent and will not sag.
- Keeps dust and pollen out.
- Reduces capacity requirements.
- Maintenance and wear of HVAC equipment.
- Certified air and vapour barrier.
The Perfect Insulation Solution For:
- Cathedral Ceiling
- Exposed Floors
- Exterior Walls
- Rim Joists
- Crawl Spaces
- New Construction
Spray foam is the most effective option for eliminating thermal bridging issues and it is ideal for both interior and exterior applications. Spray foam will meet and exceed the building code. For both residential and commercial buildings. Making sure that the installed insulation will perform at peak with a focus on addressing the air leakage is the right way to do from the start.
SFI installations throughout the home
In large and expensive areas of the homes, like the attic and roof, spray foam insulation has become a favourite for professionals. These areas are the most vulnerable and require airtightness. Proper sealing means closing up every hole, gap and crack in the attic, ensuring that airflow and air leakage are impeded. Spray foam insulation allows an attic/roof to be insulated properly with a single application. When professionally insulated, SFI will completely blanket the space. Sealing every little nook and cranny.
The insulating envelope will cover all:
- The supporting beams.
- All of the exposed wiring and plumbing.
- Any protruding ductwork throughout the space.
Once it is properly completed, an attic space is impermeable to any air and moisture intrusion.
In a basement, the improvement of energy efficiency will depend on the quality of insulation. And when properly completed, the benefits will range from energy savings to home comfort. Clearly, every home is different, but basement insulation remains a cost-worthy home improvement and investment, regardless of the space size. The upfront investment will set the stage for considerable cost savings during the winter months and in summer.
Spray foam insulation is the ideal solution for effective sealing and insulating whether your basement is being newly insulated or simply retrofitted.
Another worthwhile investment is insulating the garage. The garages are considered as “boundaries” between outdoor air and indoor air. In many cases insulating your garage can provide many benefits. For example, if your garage has a living space, it is not unusual to be extremely hot in summer and cold in winter. Therefore, when the garage is insulated well, there’s a dramatic difference in this living space.
With spray foam insulation, the garage can provide both energy efficiency and home comfort, and the best thing is that the project cost will be quickly offset by the savings.
Installing spray foam professionally
Professional installers understand spray foam insulation and how to choose the right product for the job. They understand the application process and working with the building code is required. Spray foam insulation is by no means an easy project for the DIY enthusiast. This is work for an expert, and they do it right.
- They wear recommended protective clothing.
- They prepare the job site appropriately.
- And they make every effort to mitigate risk.
Spray foam insulation requires both expertise and experience. It requires precision preparation, specialized equipment and application expertise. There are many bad installations, including some from self-professed experts. These bad installs will only lead to problems.
On the other hand, spray foam professionals are well trained, licensed and certified. They will warrantee the installed products and guarantee customer satisfaction.
Usually, industry associations encourage consumers to carefully choose their service providers. In this way, you as a homeowner, make sure to avoid potential installation problems, safety issues and risky health. But while they make an effort to promote high professional standards, it is up to every homeowner to be informed about foam insulation. Homeowners should do the necessary research. They have to ask incisive questions when hiring and make astute decisions.
In today’s contracting environment, shoddy work seems common. But at Eco Spray Insulation, things are different – our installers are all trained and certified; the products we sell and install are warrantied. And above everything, our customer’s satisfaction is guaranteed.
Nothing can compare with spray foam
- Insulation professionals are recommending spray foam insulation for both residential and commercial applications. That’s because the product performs well above the industry standard. And also it is adaptable to every part of a building structure – including attics, roofs, basements, and garages. And when performance assessments are completed, there is nothing that can compare with spray foam insulation.
- Spray foam application has to be assessed from a cost-benefit perspective. It is a long term-investment and homeowners will benefit from the utility savings which will offset the upfront cost. Spray foam doesn’t settle over time and it doesn’t lose any of its integrity, unlike other installations.
- Spray foam insulation provides more thermal comfort and thermal resistance than other products. It simultaneously seals and insulates the building envelope. Best of all, spray foam can be applied over different substrates, including concrete, wood, and steel. While traditional insulation products would have a problem with that.
- Whatever the scope of an insulation project, addressing every space, cavity and indentation can be time-consuming and challenging for any professional installer. When it comes to other products, like fiberglass, it is difficult to cover every space. Or even ensuring maximum performance. But with spray foam, there is no issue. Every space, crack and crevice is sealed, blocking air leakage and moisture intrusion.
- Environmentally friendly insulation. Made from recycled plastics and soya.
- With one ecological insulation material, you get the 3 essential properties for a high efficiency – building envelope in a single application.
- Consequently, you reduce the cost of the project. As well as its energy consumption.
Shopping for a reliable contractor
In the Greater Toronto Area, Eco Spray Insulation is one of the foremost full-service contractors in the business. Specializing in residential and commercial installations, Eco Spray is more than just an insulation company. Offering homeowners energy saving solutions for every space, from the basement to attic. As a company, our installers are focused on customer satisfaction. With a commitment to superior installation work with the highest quality products.
Eco Spray installation crews are professional and reliable. We try to fully satisfy customer needs within a month of making the first contact. Our goal is to guarantee a high standard of work, whether it is a small or big project. Importantly for the homeowner, Eco Spray specializes in Spray Foam Insulation. Providing viable energy-saving solutions that are cost-effective.
High-performance insulation is more than just keeping the home nice and warm in winter or cool in summer. With Eco Spray Insulation, it is about a comprehensive approach, moderating energy consumption. Reducing utility costs and even improving the indoor acoustics. It is also about dealing with your property as a system, with air sealing, insulation and ventilation. Working to ensure performance.
Eco Spray Insulation demands professional installation and application. The compounds require special handling. Also, the equipment requires a degree of expertise. And above all, every application requires attention to detail in order to ensure effective coverage. At Eco Spray Insulation, installers are trained and experienced with product and installation. They are highly knowledgeable with the product complexities.
With Eco Spray Insulation on the job, homeowners can rest assured that the project is being professionally managed. All work is in accordance with building codes and products are always installed to the manufacturer’s specifications.