Insulating your home is a great way to increase its energy efficiency. In fact, good quality insulation will reduce your heating and air conditioning costs. According to the Canadian Department of Energy, these savings can be anywhere from 10% to 50%, depending on various factors. However, insulating the attic doesn’t just help reduce energy costs. Sufficient insulation can also prevent deterioration of the roof by preventing the formation of condensation and ice dams. In this article, we are going to inform everyone why you should add attic insulation to your spring cleaning list.
Why your attic should be part of your Spring Cleaning Checklist
Attics can be forgotten when it comes the time for your spring cleaning because it is out-of-sight in most residential homes. During winter, the rough weather may cause small problems in your attic that if left untouched may turn quickly into bigger problems.
For example, roof leaks can come as a result of extreme winter freezing temperatures. Melting snow and ice in the spring can cause water damage to the roof structure and the previous insulation.
Another big problem may be found in the attics where it isn’t enough ventilation. In these situations where is a high level of moisture in the air, the mould can find the perfect environment to fill your attic.
That’s why in order to prevent all this and many other effects of the winter you will need to upgrade and add attic insulation to your spring cleaning checklist.
Tips For a Cleaner Attic Before Insulation
1. Remove insulation. Before starting with the cleaning and the insulation process, it is best to remove the previous insulation. Vacuuming the dusty, old insulation, no matter if it is cellulose or fibreglass or other insulation material it is super necessary, because it may cause further problems when applying the new insulation.
2. Sanitize. After removing the old insulation, it is needed to clean and sanitize the whole attic. We will take care of everything, including stains or soils and everything else on the sheetrock.
3. Seal. Sealing might be the most important process before continuing with the new insulation. In order to apply spray foam insulation in the most professional way, it is necessary to seal every small crevice and cracks your attic may have. This will prevent every rodent from penetration into your attic.
4. New insulation. Only now is the time for high-standard insulation levels that will make you enjoy your house even more. Some of the most visible differences you will notice are sound and noise levels, temperature and comfort overall.
Attic Insulation Guide
Start with The Attic Floor
If you want to save more money and to add an extra layer of insulation in order to protect your home you may want to consider not using anymore your attic for storage. If your attic floor is covered with plywood, it is not possible to put as much insulation as needed in order to do the job sufficiently.
Choose Your Insulation Type and Material
Wondering what type of insulation is ideal for your attic? Here is an overview of the main choices available to homeowners:
1. Loose fill. This type of insulation comes in the form of fine particles that are blown into the attic. Loose fill insulation can be made from fibreglass, mineral wool, or cellulose. It is a good choice for spaces under the roof which have many small holes.
2. Batts. This type of thick blanket-like insulation comes in mats or rolls. It can be made from natural fibre, plastic fibre, mineral wool, or fibreglass, the latter choice being the most common for attics. Mats are offered in a size suitable for typical spacings between trusses and rafters. Insulation in mats or rolls can also have a vapour barrier membrane on one side, which prevents condensation and makes it easier to attach the insulation.
Insulation under a low slope roof
Low slope roofs can be difficult to insulate. At the edge of the attic, where the slope of the roof meets the floor, there is often not enough room for a sufficient thickness of insulation. This is especially true if the roof has soffit vents with baffles that allow airflow. In this case, Natural Resources Canada suggests that the space available for the insulation can be as small as 10 cm.
In order to save money when insulating a low-pitched roof, it is possible to install very thin, high-quality insulation around the edge of the attic (and other critical areas), and then install different insulation, thicker and more economical, in the rest of the attic. It is best to speak with your contractor to determine if this approach is right for your home.
Other Cleaning and Maintenance Tips To Protect Your House After Winter
Have Your Roof Checked And Maintained To Avoid Tile
Fall and winter are seasons when the roof is pounded by rain, wind and frost. Maintaining your roof is essential to spend a winter without bad surprises. The roof is the heat shield of your home, so it must always be in good condition and even more so to get through the winter.
Two important points should be checked: the waterproofing of the roof and the condition of the gutters.
Depending on the condition of your roof, several maintenance jobs may be undertaken. First, cleaning the roof will remove the foam that has settled and apply a water repellent treatment to prevent the tiles from becoming porous. It is also recommended to replace tiles if some are broken in order to prevent the risk of water infiltration into the house and at the facade.
Change Or Renovate Its Windows To Prevent The Cold From Returning
To prepare for winter, you have to hunt for fresh air inlets to avoid the feeling of cold air in the house. Fresh air entering causes certain thermal discomfort.
Air infiltration in your home mainly comes from windows that are not completely closed, that do not close properly or that let air through because they are no longer good enough. If they have 15 years that are installed and more, the windows are too old and no longer preserve the cold, you must think about replacing them.
Depending on the condition of your windows, several types of maintenance work can be performed: repairing windows or replacing windows with a more efficient model (Double or even triple glazing and airtight surround).
Maintain Your Garden To Preserve Your Home From Weather
Before facing fall and winter, if you’re lucky enough to have a garden, don’t overlook it!
During this season, pruning trees, maintaining lawns and planting spring bulbs are essential to finding your garden flamboyant at the end of winter.
Pruning trees is all the more important if they are close to the house. Indeed, with the wind and the rain, the branches can fall on the roof and damage it. In addition, dead leaves can clog gutters and cause a problem with storm drainage.
Why choose Eco Spray Insulation?
Here at Eco Spray Insulation, we appreciate that our customers are interested in making changes to decrease their environmental footprint. We have the privilege of helping them along this path with the installation of eco-friendly commercial spray foam and residential spray foam. Not only are these high-performance products, but they will also help to reduce your environmental impact by reducing the need for heating and air conditioning. Our spray foam products are the best and all Ontarians can see a drop in their utility costs.
Our unsurpassed attention to detail means that once you hire us, you don’t have to worry about anything. We handle all kinds of spray foam insulation projects from start to finish. What are you waiting for? Give us a call at 416 860 6664 or email us at [email protected] today to upgrade to new commercial spray foam or residential spray foam.
Q: What is included in a spring cleaning?
A: Spring Cleaning Checklist
- Vacuum and wash vents.
- Wash Baseboards, door ceilings, window sills, doors, and walls.
- Dust blinds.
- Wash window treatments (drapes, etc.).
- Wash windows – inside and out.
- Dust and/or vacuum light fixtures and lampshades.
- Dust and shine overhead lights – replace burnt light bulbs.
Q: Is spring cleaning necessary?
A: Cleaning can additionally give a feeling of achievement that will put you in a good mood. Spring Cleaning can assist eliminate allergens you may not get in your daily cleaning routine! Spring Cleaning is the ideal time to get rid of stuff! Go over your cabinets, drawers, and closets and remove out what you don’t need!